Back in February, I vowed to give up my biggest vice, which is drinking way too much diet soda. And honestly, I didn’t think I’d really do it 100%. I just thought it would make a good blog post! But much to my delight – I did it – and I didn’t cheat once!
It really wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be. The first week was almost a piece of cake. But then I went to Cabo San Lucas with my girlfriends in the second weekend and I was practically foaming at the mouth to drink an ice cold Diet Pepsi as I nursed a hangover in the hot sun. From that point on though, it was pretty easy.
Quiting diet soda does not = weight loss!
At first I was thinking if I didn’t drink Diet Pepsi my only other option was water. I even went to the movies that first weekend and had a big tub of buttery, salty popcorn and washed it down with a bottle of water! GA-ROSS! I mean, water so doesn’t compliment movie popcorn – not in the least! I realized quickly though that I had other options besides just water 24/7. I could drink lemonade, iced tea (sweetened), green tea (sweetened), and when I really needed caffeine – Mountain Dew (hey, it’s not diet!). Of course with these other options come added calories! I’ve heard people say you will lose weight when you stop drinking diet soda. That’s horse shit. I guess if you stick with nothing but water you can, but c’mon, that’s such a bland life to lead!
Today after church and Easter brunch, Jeff and I decided we’d have a movie day and make popcorn at home. Suddenly, it popped into my head – I can drink Diet Pepsi today! LENT IS OFFICIALLY O-V-E-R! As I poured my first glass of Diet Pepsi I almost felt guilty. Like, maybe I should just never start up again. But where I’d usually have like two or three on a Sunday afternoon lounging around the house, I only had that one glass.
So I’m not giving up diet soda for good. But if anything, this Lent sacrifice has taught me that if I put my mind to something – I can do it. If I cheated during these past 40 days, I’d only be cheating myself. After all, I already know Jesus loves me no matter what!!
So how about you guys? How did you do with your Lent sacrifices or pledges to be a better person? If you stuck to it, then share your success story! If you didn’t, then consider this your Catholic confessional, and tell me your sins… I’ll forgive you!
- My BIG Lent sacrifice…
- “Baby proofing” is laughing at me for not baby proofing yet.
- Feeling like the baby is going to crawl out of me any minute!! Plus, check out my 35-week baby bump!
- It’s baby gender reveal time!! Sooooo…..it’s a......
- Deep thoughts on projectile poop, breastfeeding, and anxiety over being alone with the baby!
- It finally feels real – baby girl is moving!!! Plus, check out my 21-week baby bump pic!
- Torn between two loves
- Trading binge drinking for an ice cream binger – happy 4th of July! Plus, check out my 38-week baby bump!
- Learning to cope with pregnancy’s physical limitations... Plus, check out my 26-week baby bump!
- Why do men LOVE fake boobies?